Removing a Walden neck.

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Doug Polk

Removing a Walden neck.

Post by Doug Polk »

Hi all. I own a Walden D550 that requires a neck reset. I've done this before on other guitars and am not afraid of the work. However, I understand that Walden necks are bolt-on necks. Humm...I cannot see any bolt heads at the neck block, just a chunk of wood with the name Walden printed on it. is that a cover of some sort, and if so how is it removed?

Also, this neck is quite thin (1-5/8" at the nut). Does anyone make a bit wider replacement bolt-on neck that I might modify to fit?

Much thanks for any response!!
Freeman Keller

Re: Removing a Walden neck.

Post by Freeman Keller »

Don't know about Walden but its not uncommon for manufacturers to hide the bolt heads under some sort of cover (but its usually a label). Might be put on with double sticky tape. Make some sort of tool that you can get under the edge of the cover and try to pop it off. You might also poke around with a magnet (one of those on a stem for retrieving dropped parts) to see if you can feel the bolt heads.

As far as renecking it - that is a huge task with a bazillion parameters to consider. You are not going to find any thing that fits without substantial work.
Bob Shanklin

Re: Removing a Walden neck.

Post by Bob Shanklin »

Contact Charles Fox at http://www.charlesfoxguitars.com , as he was a co-owner of Walden.

Bob

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”