Converting fretboard radius

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Edgar Jessop

Converting fretboard radius

Post by Edgar Jessop »

I have a Peavey electric that I plan on refreting. But, I want to convert the fretboard radius from 15 3/4in. to 10in.. I want to avoid simply replacing the neck if possible. So, I'm thinking of sanding the board to the 10in. radius using my sanding caul. The neck has a rosewood board and dot fret markers is 25 1/2in. scale and twenty four frets. What do you think; is this practical or not?
Attachments
ScreenShot397.jpg
David King

Re: Converting fretboard radius

Post by David King »

It's totally practical but I would attempt a compound radius rather than a straight 10. I don't know how easy that would be for you without a long flat sanding board or a big belt sander with a straight platen.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

it looks like it's unbound, so check your fingerboard thickness. Take the nut off and double check that it's not a veneer fingerboard. If you have sufficient thickness, go for it. If you think you might get marginal on thickness to refret, think about your options. 10" is less than I am comfortable with, and needs relatively high action if you do a lot of string bending.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Make sure the radius will fit your bridge.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

Remember that you'll need to deepen the ends of the fret slots with a fine tooth saw that cuts the appropriate width kerf. You'll also want a way to keep those slots from getting too deep.
Edgar Jessop

Post by Edgar Jessop »

Barry Daniels wrote:Make sure the radius will fit your bridge.
Strat type hard-tail bridge.
Attachments
ScreenShot402.jpg
Last edited by Edgar Jessop on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edgar Jessop

Post by Edgar Jessop »

Brian Evans wrote:it looks like it's unbound, so check your fingerboard thickness. Take the nut off and double check that it's not a veneer fingerboard. If you have sufficient thickness, go for it. If you think you might get marginal on thickness to refret, think about your options. 10" is less than I am comfortable with, and needs relatively high action if you do a lot of string bending.
The fingerboard is 5mm thick. My Strat and Teles are 10in.. My LPs are 12in.. I currently use e 4/64" - E 5/64".
Attachments
ScreenShot406.jpg
ScreenShot405.jpg
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

Edgar, As I see it there are a few concerns.
1. You will take a fair amount of wood off the outside edges of the fingerboard. You will likely have to deepen the fret slots so that the tang will go all the way down. If you feel comfortable with that and there is enough depth on the fingerboard that shouldn't be too big a problem.

2. Your outer E strings will be lower relative to your inner (D & G) strings. Since your pick-ups appear to be flat on top and without adjustable pole pieces, you MAY have string balance issues. My guess is the D string might be a little quiet. You could probably see how much effect it will have by adjusting your saddles into the arc that you will eventually need, and play a little. Of course your action will be wonky, but it will show you whether or not you'll be comfortable with the different distances between the strings and pick-ups.

3. You may lose the fret markers on the 12th and 24th frets since they are so far out that you will be removing a lot of material there. they can, of course be replaced, if you're comfortable with that.

4. I don't know if anyone cares about whether or not those guitars are "stock" in terms of resale, but if so, this guitar will no longer be stock.

I don't think any of these things are huge issues, even the string height over the pickups, but just thought I'd mention them so you're prepared. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
-jim
Edgar Jessop

Post by Edgar Jessop »

Jim Hepler wrote:Edgar, As I see it there are a few concerns.
1. You will take a fair amount of wood off the outside edges of the fingerboard. You will likely have to deepen the fret slots so that the tang will go all the way down. If you feel comfortable with that and there is enough depth on the fingerboard that shouldn't be too big a problem.

No problem for me.

2. Your outer E strings will be lower relative to your inner (D & G) strings. Since your pick-ups appear to be flat on top and without adjustable pole pieces, you MAY have string balance issues. My guess is the D string might be a little quiet. You could probably see how much effect it will have by adjusting your saddles into the arc that you will eventually need, and play a little. Of course your action will be wonky, but it will show you whether or not you'll be comfortable with the different distances between the strings and pick-ups.

It's an Auto-Tune guitar. I'll be playing through the piezo bridge pickups.

3. You may lose the fret markers on the 12th and 24th frets since they are so far out that you will be removing a lot of material there. they can, of course be replaced, if you're comfortable with that.

No problem.

4. I don't know if anyone cares about whether or not those guitars are "stock" in terms of resale, but if so, this guitar will no longer be stock.

I'll keep that in mind.

I don't think any of these things are huge issues, even the string height over the pickups, but just thought I'd mention them so you're prepared. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
-jim

OK, I will. Thanks
Attachments
ScreenShot407.jpg

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”