Burns Gear-O-Matic Truss Rod

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Burns Gear-O-Matic Truss Rod

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Yes. That is also my question.
I buy wire from stewmac that has a tang of .023
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I am using the wide and tall Stew-Mac #154. It matches the wire that was originally on this 7-string, and is what the client wanted.

I don't know why, Mario, but I have sometimes struggled a bit with getting fretwire fully seated. Just about any fretwire pressed into a .023" slot is just too tight of a fit in my opinion. So I came up with the approach to widen the slot with a tapered dremel bit that has a maximum width of about .027". But that is a bit overkill and I have worried if it is really secure enough. I thought I would try the approach of removing a bit of the fret barb. So far, I like the results.

Keep in mind that I am installing frets in a board already glued to the neck. Also, this is an archtop so I don't have the ability to use a fret buck under the fretboard extension. I need to be able to press these frets in pretty easily.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

Barry,
I'm really impressed with the quality of the Jescar wire and have long since replaced all my stewmac sizes with the equivalent Jescar which tends to have thinner tangs (.020"-.021") and shorter barbs (.032"-.036"). I'm sure you probably have a collection of both. I still have large spools of Dunlap wire which have been hanging around my neck for a couple of decades but were unusable due to poor quality and twisted spooling.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

You are not the first person to tell me that. I will check it out. Where do you buy your Jescar?
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I see that LMII has it. I did not realize that their tang width was so much less. That is exactly what I needed. Thanks David!
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I buy it in the 3LB rolls right from Jescar's US website. They now sell in 2 foot straight pieces for folks who can't wrangle a coil.
Here's the dimensions page https://www.jescar.com/fret-wire-specifications/
They sell a lot of other handy lutherie related items like flannel buffing wheels, Manzerna sticks, Summit tools and the double-priced CA glues with pictures of guitars on the labels.
I'm quite happy with their evo-gold wire which is nickel free but not quite as hard and brash-sounding as the stainless wire.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Also, be sure to slightly bevel the fret slots' edges a bit. A small square needle file works great...
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Thanks Mario. That task is already part of my normal routine.
MIMF Staff
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

FWIIW, I've been going through this too, frets hard to drive and too much back bow. To mitigate, I've been using a cheap fine tooth back saw with the teeth dressed down to .025" to open the slots up a bit for fret wire w/ .023" tang. Also, I'm using the Stewmac Fret Barber to trim the tangs down some. I ordered Jescar stainless wire with .020" tang. We'll see how this goes.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I sent a note to Stew Mac. Their circular fret saw blade is sized to cut a .023" slot, yet their fretwire has a tang width of .025". I think those are incompatible specifications.
MIMF Staff
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Agreed! I'll let you know how the .020" Jescar goes in a .023" slot. My guess is it will be good.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I may beat you to it, or at least a tie. LMII has put my Jescar in the mail.

Stew-Mac refunded my fretwire. But I think they need to make some adjustments to the blade or wire.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I did a bit of research a few years back and figured out that there only something like 4 fret wire mills in the world. Stewmac and Dunlap I think have the same source in the Northeast. There's a mill in Russia (Sintoms) and another in S. Korea and then Jescar in Germany is probably the largest.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

The airport finally opened up yesterday and I got my Jescar fretwire in. It looks good. The tang measures about .022" thick. It is going in with just the right amount of pressure. Thanks again David.

I will probably still need to use my fret barber on the fretboard extension.
Attachments
IMG_0592.jpg
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Trimming the fretwire down for the fingerboard extension worked out great. It tapped in with the right amount of force. Not too much and not too little. I am happy with the Jescar and the way it turned out.
Attachments
IMG_0593.jpg
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

Stunning work.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Thanks David. I am always trying to find ways to do things better. One issue that I had been having increasing trouble was getting a good buff on the frets. For several decades I have sanded my frets with 320 grit wet or dry paper and then gone to a 8" diameter buffing wheel with gray compound. In the last few years it seemed like the level of gloss achieved was getting less and less. I hadn't changed anything. So I started adding in a final sanding with 800 grit paper before buffing. Still no joy. So I was recently reading a thread over on the OLF about Menzerna compound bars dying after a certain number of years. Hmmm. That bar of gray compound I'm using is probably 35 years old. Could that be the problem? So I pulled out a bar of tripoli that is probably only 10 years old (relatively young for my shop) and it worked. One quick pass and high gloss.

Now I just need to rebuild my old buffing machine because it is rattling pretty badly. I inherited it from my grandfather so it is probably nearly 70 or 80 years old. I can't replace it due to sentimental issues, so I will need to replace the bushings. Another job for the list.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I used to buff but I got lazy applying all the tape to the board and taking it off so now I do 400 grit Norton 3X, 1200 3M Imperial silicone carbide both on a fret shaped handle and "buff" using 00000 steel wool with a steel eraser mask over the fret to protect the board. I clean up the board with a white plastic eraser and move on. It's definitely a workout for the hands so I limit myself to one fret leveling a day. A big magnet wrapped in a plastic baggie is handy to gather the steel wool flakes.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yeah, the tape is a pain.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

In order to bring completion to this project here are photos of the finished repair.
IMG_0596.jpg
Installed new TV Jones Supertron pickups and wiring harness which includes a tone selector switch. These are blade pickups which works with the string spacing of the seven strings.
IMG_0597.jpg
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”