Sand-throughs on Finished Binding Edge

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Philip Secrist

Sand-throughs on Finished Binding Edge

Post by Philip Secrist »

I refinished the back on a one year old guitar (nitro finish). I had masked the top, neck, and sides right up to the back binding edge so I could spray the back. After curing the finish, I tried to smooth the transition on the binding edge from the new finish to the old (where the masking edge was left a little ridge) with 600 grit wet sandpaper and sanded through to the wood in a few places right on the binding edge. They are narrow sand throughs (about an inch or two long in 2 or three areas. I wish now I had just left the binding edges alone!) What is the best method to repair these?
Barry Daniels

Re: Sand-throughs on Finished Binding Edge

Post by Barry Daniels »

I would probably try to touch it up with an artist's brush using some thin lacquer. One or two coats and then polish it out.

Usually edges take care of themselves with nitro. You don't even need to sand the lacquer there. If you do sand you quickly go through the finish every time.
MIMF Staff
Philip Secrist

Re: Sand-throughs on Finished Binding Edge

Post by Philip Secrist »

Thanks Barry. Yeah, I basically knew to leave them alone. I don't know what possessed me to try to smooth them out. The transition line felt a little too abrupt, but I should have just left them alone. Live and learn...again!! I will try some thinned lacquer with a small artist's brush!

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”