DuPont Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick on Nitro

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Mark Bruffey

DuPont Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick on Nitro

Post by Mark Bruffey »

Hi! Has anyone used the DuPont Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick on a nitrocellulose finish? Thanks, Mark
Barry Daniels

Re: DuPont Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick on Nitro

Post by Barry Daniels »

I just did some googling on the subject and it is an auto finish product that seems to be a sort of drop fill for clear coats. Auto clear coat is a urethane finish.

For repairing nitrocellulose you should only use nitrocellulose.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

Some of the automotive scratch and chip repair kits are still nitrocellulose but it's an expensive way to buy your paint and the cap brushes aren't the best. That said it might be a reasonable way to go for a one-time drop fill. Search for Touchup clearcoat pen and then check the manufacturer's MSDS to see if it's nitro or urethane.
Mark Bruffey

Post by Mark Bruffey »

Sorry for my slow response. I thought I had my settings configured to notify me of responses. Here is the link to MSDS: http://www.autocaredp.com/static/pdf/MS ... nglish.pdf I don't know if I have the requisite knowledge to tell what it is. Thx, Mark
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I can't really tell what the product is but it is very volatile. There is no urethane in it. But it is also definitely not nitro lacquer.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”