A request for advice on removing a neck.

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Adam Savage

Re: A request for advice on removing a neck.

Post by Adam Savage »

I haven't made a start yet, due to sorting out other issues at home, but I took a few measurements of the action, if that is of any help.
At the 12th fret, with capo, Low E - 2.4mm, High E - 2.0 mm
At 12th fret, no capo, Low E -2.7mm, High E 2.2 mm
These were taken with a 12" steel rule, so maybe a smidge off, but the ballpark is there.

Cheers,
Adam
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

Something I don't recall - how straight is the neck? Have you put backbow in it? Is the fretboard decently straight? FWIW I would look for 1.5 - 1.6 mm high E with no capo, as normal electric guitar action, which is around 1/16" or a bit less. You are around .6 - .7 high, double that for the saddle vs the 12th fret, so around a 1/16 of an inch or less at the saddle. I would set the relief, measure again, turn the saddles around, crank the bridge tailpiece back a bit more, and slot the saddles down if all I needed was 1/16". Of course, my math is probably wrong on the metric conversions... :)
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

Brian - I've just had another look at the neck with regard to the relief, now this is with strings at tension. There is a bit of relief - say 1-2/32" between 1st and 22nd fret, in the midline. Would you adjust the truss rod to straighten a little more?

Cheers'
Adam
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

A good goal for relief is .007". Sounds like you have way too much.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”