Bridge Ibanez AR300

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Anders Nothagen

Bridge Ibanez AR300

Post by Anders Nothagen »

I have an Ibanez AR 300 from 1981. On this guitar they have a mounted the bridge on a heavy sustain block which are mounted to the body with two screws. I’ve never liked this construction because I think the contact between the body and the block is too bad. Some years ago therefore I removed the block and filled the hole with a piece of wood and mounted a regular Tune o matic bridge instead. I can’t remember what kind of wood I used when I did that but now I have some alder and think I’ll try to do it again.

Now I wonder if here are someone who can tell me which is the best way to do this? How can I get maximum connection between the wood in the body and the wooden block? Last time I just sanded down the new piece of wood as close as possible to the hole and then hammered it down. Then I fastened it with the two screws just for maximum connection. Last time I didn’t use any glue, just in case I wanted to do it in a better way sometime, and it sits rock solid even without the screws. But what I worry about is if the bottom of the woodenblock have connection with the body or if it’s only the edges.
Attachments
Picture of the hole in the body
Picture of the hole in the body
The sustain block:
The sustain block:
This is the original bridge construction.
This is the original bridge construction.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”