A Basic Piano Repair

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Matthew Madden

A Basic Piano Repair

Post by Matthew Madden »

Hi all:

I bought a nice old piano about a year ago. I got a good deal on a Steinway upright. Recently, one of the hammers broke off. The shaft split. I think that key suffered a sudden blow from a flying object. The piano is in the basement (it is humidity controlled), and my son is 10 years old so.....

I think I could glue the shaft. I'm thinking I could use titebond, and maybe wrap the shaft with light copper wire in couple of places as a clamp, and to give it some mechanical help.

I think I could figure out an OK way to do this, but is there a right way to do it?

Thanks.
Matthew Madden

Re: A Basic Piano Repair

Post by Matthew Madden »

Here's a pic of the broken hammer.
Attachments
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG (31.4 KiB) Viewed 9588 times
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I'm not a piano tech. Until you hear from one, don't do anything to change the mass of the shaft. I have one of those old Steinways. It's a wonderful piano. One of the neatest things about a Steinway is the way the key feels when you play. Changing the mass would change that. Good luck.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

I'm not a piano person (in any sense of the word) but the shank (now I'm showing off) can be replaced. Here is a you tube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRkgvRrshP0
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I would wrap the shaft with thread which will also help to clamp the break during gluing.
MIMF Staff
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Barry Daniels wrote:I would wrap the shaft with thread which will also help to clamp the break during gluing.
I've seen that inside pianos. I think hide glue is used, and the thread is also painted with glue.
David King

Post by David King »

The piano would undoubtedly benefit from a new shank and hammers anyway if it's a nice one. You would pull all the hammers off in order, pack them up and send them to one of the places that does this. Each hammer head is drilled and glued to it's shank at a slightly different angle which is tricky without the right jig. It's quite reasonable compared to a new piano but probably more than the piano is worth. New strings might be a better investment but both are important to tone production.
Here's a nice illustrated article: http://www.pianopromoproductions.com/re ... %20PDF.pdf
Matthew Madden

Post by Matthew Madden »

Thanks for the advice everyone. David, that is a very informative article, but way more work than I want to undertake at this point. I primarily want a functioning piano for my son to learn on....it is a nice bonus that this one sounds great and looks beautiful, too. If my son progresses such that he might appreciate an investment like this, I might consider it.

In the meantime, I am going to ask my piano tuner about repairing the shank. If he knows how to do this repair, I'll probably have him do it. I don't want to mess around too much.

Thanks.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”