Guitar Neck Wood Grain?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Aron Petersen

Guitar Neck Wood Grain?

Post by Aron Petersen »

What wood grain should you use for a guitar neck? Should it be flat or vetical grain, and what benefits do either cut bring?
Mark Wybierala

Re: Guitar Neck Wood Grain?

Post by Mark Wybierala »

If I'm reading this correctly, you'd be asking whether the board be flat or quarter sawn. Quarter sawn wood with the grain running vertically to the fretboard is the most popular choice but I've used flat sawn maple and mahogany with no ill effects and you tend to pay more for quarter sawn boards because its a less effecient way of harvesting wood. With a good quality and properly dried piece of lumber. I feel that there isn't a lot of value to the extra cost.
Waddy Thomson

Post by Waddy Thomson »

I often use off quarter wood for multiple part necks. That way you can arrange the grain to your advantage.
P1050499 (Large).JPG
Aron Petersen

Post by Aron Petersen »

I see alot of advantages using vertical grain on the fretboard because it has better wearing properties, is stiffer and less likely to warp than flat grain. The guitars I have to look at all show flat grain, with either maple or rosewood fretboards, and frat grain again for any mohogany or maple necks. Why is that? Is it because they are not high end guitars?
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

vertical grain is not necessarily "stiffer and less likely to warp" than flat grain. It does move a bit less across the width of the neck, and the look may be preferred on an aesthetic basis.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”