the Bushings are to big on my Chibson to use the tune-o-matic Bridge

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Ross McLean

the Bushings are to big on my Chibson to use the tune-o-matic Bridge

Post by Ross McLean »

I've just started upgrading or polishing and fixing the family's guitars and I am currently working on a Les Paul Replica I had made for me. I am taking out all of the 3rd party gear and putting in some vintage pickups, orange drop Electrics, historic features and authentic peices. My big problem is the bushings that hold the fake bridge in place are too big. When I take them out I will have to fill the gap somehow to make up the difference for the Les Paul bridge. The guys at stewmac said to plug it with a peice of wood but they also said to reach out here and see what kind of ideas MIMF have.

Link to the photo

https://goo.gl/photos/x23gJoCAaYUe1tCE6

Thank you,

Ross
Eric Baack

Re: the Bushings are to big on my Chibson to use the tune-o-matic Bridge

Post by Eric Baack »

I don't think I'd worry as much about getting a totally authentic bridge. You could just get a bridge that matches the thread and spacing on the OEM bridge
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

If the spacing of the new bridge is the same, then I think you could plug and redrill new holes, and the flange on the new studs will cover the repair. But I've never dealt with TOM bridges, so take this with a grain of salt.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Ross McLean

Post by Ross McLean »

Thank you both for the feedback. It's something to think about.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I don't understand how you can have a "fake bridge" on a guitar that isn't a genuine Gibson. Not that I accord Gibson any kind of immortality or anything. I would be less about trying to use "authentic" pieces and more about trying to use high quality parts that will be the best that guitar can be. Trust me, "authentic Gibson" and "best" are not often the same thing.
Ross McLean

Post by Ross McLean »

Thanks for your opinion
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

IMHO authentic Gibson is like trying to make sure your Korean made Cruze has "authentic" Chevy parts.

Sorry, I know there are many who think "Gibson" should be whispered in reverent tones only by the worthy.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”