Gibson headstock wreck

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Greg Steil

Re: Gibson headstock wreck

Post by Greg Steil »

thanks, I intend to tint the clear coats to do the back of the head. Also, the tuning machines cover a lot of the ugly on the back. Plus the rest of the guitar has it's share of dents dings etc.
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

I'd probably still do a back strap just for structural reasons. The front plate doesn't add nearly as much to the structural integrity as the back plate does when you look at the torque induced by the strings to the headstock. I could draw up a free body diagram :p (engineering geek here)
Todd Stock

Post by Todd Stock »

27 years as an aerospace engineering/structures guy...not necessary, but it can't hurt. Already overkill for the small loads applied. I've done a couple of these that were in 7-8 pieces, and as long as there is adequate long grain area, not an issue. As long as the break does not run through the neck/peg head join/transition, not much of an issue with this type of break.
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

ready for clear coats. The back will get a lightly tinted spray.
Attachments
005.JPG
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

so far, so good.
Attachments
clearcoat.JPG
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Something about this kind of repair is intensely satisfying to see. In the interests of not getting all philosophical, I'll just thank you for posting and congratulate you on a good job.
Kaptain Karl
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

Hey, thanks so much for the kind words, I should have it all back together soon. But since it has been "down so long", I've been playing my 48 SJ, so this will probably go back in the case after a test spin! Thanks again.
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

well, here tis
Attachments
010.JPG
Chris Vallillo

Post by Chris Vallillo »

Greg,

Just let the grass go!!

CV