small button kluson tuners

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Brian Evans

small button kluson tuners

Post by Brian Evans »

I want to replace several of the tuner buttons on the slot-head Kluson tuners on my 1936 dobro. They are noticeably smaller than the buttons on my other Kluson equipped guitar, and all I can find on any of the supplier web-sites are the larger size 11/16" by 9/16" while my knobs are more like 5/8" by 15/32". I know that Golden Age makes their version of my Kluson three on a plate bent tab tuners (stewmac #2504) which have the larger buttons, but I don't want to give up on fixing the originals without at least a decent try. Any one know of a supplier?

Thanks, brian
Michael Lewis

Re: small button kluson tuners

Post by Michael Lewis »

Possibly some mandolin buttons would fit the size and shape your looking for. There are LOTS of possibilities out there. Do you have a pic of your current buttons? Is it possible they have shrunken over the years to an unavailable size? Many celluloid buttons from the 50s and before have succumbed to the ravages of time and turned dark and shrunk to about half their original size.
David King

Re: small button kluson tuners

Post by David King »

You could use an existing button to make a silicone mold and cast some new ones from urethane casting resin which can be colored to match or you can add pearlescent powder to a clear resin.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”