REmoving Sticker Marks from Inside Soundhole

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Andrew Lawrence

REmoving Sticker Marks from Inside Soundhole

Post by Andrew Lawrence »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here as a new member.

I have an old Guild acoustic (rosewood back) which has had a piece of velcro attached to the unfinished wood on the inside of the back and subsequently removed. It has left a sizeable area of glue and gunge behind. I have tried using isopropyl to remove this, but it hasn't really helped.

Could anyone help with tips as to the best solvent to use please?

Thanks.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: REmoving Sticker Marks from Inside Soundhole

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

Naptha or lighter fluid should remove the adhesive (and the adhesive is holding the grunge) without affecting the finish. If there is a paper label in the guitar, you may wish to mask it before using the naptha
Andrew Lawrence

Post by Andrew Lawrence »

Thanks for the tip. I wondered if naptha or lighter fluid would leave behind a residue or discolour the unfinished wood...?
David King

Post by David King »

If you can get to it easily I would try scraping as much off as you can with a single edge razor blade first.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

No, they don't leave residue or discolor the wood. Paint thinner or mineral spirits will also work.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”