What glue to use for Martin 000-CXE bridge?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Fren Asken

What glue to use for Martin 000-CXE bridge?

Post by Fren Asken »

I'm working on a Martin 000-CXE. Being it's not made out of wood, what glue should I use to reset the bridge?
--
Fren Asken
Michael Lewis

Re: What glue to use for Martin 000-CXE bridge?

Post by Michael Lewis »

That is a High Pressure Laminate, so you get to use CA gel (super glue). Make sure you clean off the 'old' stuff, and start with clean fresh surfaces to glue.

This can be a messy event if you don't plan and prepare well. You need glue all over the mating surface of the bridge, but not so much that you get a lot of squeeze out, but you do need some squeeze out. Check the bridge pin holes too. You have to clean up any excess glue before it sets, just quickly wipe it up with a paper towel and clean up with acetone quickly. The less cleaning you need the better. You must clamp the bridge in place, just like usual.
Paul Breen

Post by Paul Breen »

Martin uses 3M #PR60056.

I looked at the data sheet for this stuff and it is a cyanoacrylate formulated for plastics and rubbers, it's medium viscosity. Looks like they also offer a low viscosity and gel formulas.
David King

Post by David King »

No one seems to sell this stuff. I'd look for an equivalent from Loctite.
Fren Asken

Post by Fren Asken »

I found some online. 3M PR600-56. Thanks all.
--
Fren Asken

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”