Gibson RD maple fretboard refinish problem

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
cedric verglas

Gibson RD maple fretboard refinish problem

Post by cedric verglas »

Hi fellows,

I have a 1972 RD custom Gibson on the bench for a refret. the fingerboard was very dirty, frets were more than rusty (you kown this beautiful green shade...). fretboard leveling has been made to found a clean maple. refret has been done. But something happend with refinishing the fretboard:

(only 2cases where refinished here)

finish don't stick ! I have tried with various thiner % but it is still the same.
It's nitrocelulosic finish, T° is 20°C & RH is 45%.
At the same time I finished a maple body electric guitar with no problem (same nitro, t° & RH)
I have scrapped and refinish 3 times the fingerboard with quite the same effect !

any suggestions are welcome !

see you next year ;-)
Barry Daniels

Re: Gibson RD maple fretboard refinish problem

Post by Barry Daniels »

This is a condition called "Fish-Eye". It is caused by silicone contamination from the use of a furniture polish such as Pledge. The silicone soaks into the wood and disturbs "surface tension" of applied finish. It is tough to get rid of. Sand down to bare wood and then use mineral spirits and alcohol to wipe the wood using clean rags multiple times. Then seal the wood with shellac and apply your finish coats.
MIMF Staff
cedric verglas

Re: Gibson RD maple fretboard refinish problem

Post by cedric verglas »

thanks Barry,

I'll scrap a case for a trial, then a good cleaning, some shellac and a finish coat as you said and I'll come back to you!

thanks,

and happy new year !

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”