New P-90, wood pickguard

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Matt Madden

New P-90, wood pickguard

Post by Matt Madden »

Hi all. I've started the process of putting a P-90 in the bridge position of the tele-deluxe style guitar I built. It has a okoume plywood pickguard and has a strat style bridge (not a tele bridge). It is similar in appearance to the 70s Tele Deluxes with the two humbuckers, except I built mine with just a single coil in the neck position. Now I am going to add a GFS P-90 in the bridge position.

So...I will have to route the pickguard to fit a P-90. I am in the process of making an MDF template to do the routing. Looking to avoid chipping etc. in the pickguard, should I route from the top or bottom? I'm thinking top. Should I remove the copper foil shielding first or will to router bit just cut through that?

The pickguard is finished with min-wax polyurethane, btw.

Thanks.
Greg Robinson

Re: New P-90, wood pickguard

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Matt,

With regard to cutting your pickup hole from the top or bottom with a router, it depends on what sort of router bit you will be using.
If using a standard straight no-shear bit, then it doesn't make a difference, although you may want to cut close to the line, and then clean up with a file.
If you have a down-cut bit, then cutting from the top will leave a clean edge on the top, and vise-versa for an up-cut bit.

You might also want to score the lines with an exacto blade or similar to avoid chip outs.

I wouldn't worry about the copper foil, any router and bit shouldn't have any problems, although you may want to score it to prevent tearing.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”