Guitar Shipping

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Dave Gentner

Guitar Shipping

Post by Dave Gentner »

I am getting ready to ship two new guitars overseas. One is going to Germany, the other to Singapore. What problems should I anticipate in shipping. Should I worry about lack of humidity during transit?
David King

Re: Guitar Shipping

Post by David King »

Planes are very dry places at 36,000 feet, think vacuum kiln. Best might be to wrap the guitar in a 2-4 mil poly bag. You can toss a small damp-it sponge in there if you're still worried. The bag will need to exhale on the way up and inhale on the way down but limiting the air exchange ought to maintain most of the moisture.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

I would worry more about after the guitar gets to Singapore and sucks up the ambient humidity. It is a rather damp climate.

Yes to the plastic bag. Put the case in it and tie it closed before you put it in the shipping carton. That should be a reasonable barrier to significant humidity change of the guitar during the shipping process.
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

Thanks guys. The guitar going to Singapore has an adjustable neck joint to compensate for the extreme humidity.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”