Hardware on a 1920's Supertone

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Michael Baresi

Hardware on a 1920's Supertone

Post by Michael Baresi »

Just wondering what everyones thought is on this situation.
I'm currently restoring a 20's Supertone parlor guitar with a tailpiece.
As you would imagine there is lots of corrosion on it. I have used oooo steelwool on it and then some silver polish and it looks pretty good but still shows the signs of the old corrosion.
I could take some 320 sandpaper to it and probably shine it up real good but I'm thinking it might look out of place with the rest of the guitar still showing its age.
What would you do?
David King

Re: Hardware on a 1920's Supertone

Post by David King »

I use bon ami or bar keep on a damp sponge to shine up old metal without scratching it or damaging the plating. The 0000 steel wool is a bit too rough if the plating or metal is softer than steel. You would never get the scratches out from 320 and you'd destroy some of the value. If you want to throw money at it you can clean it up completely, have it re-plated and then antique that plating but that takes a lot of time and skill.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

I use Simichrome or Maas polish. Both are ammonia based and have a light abrasive. They give a different effect than plain 0000 steel wool, which is as coarse as I would go. I've also used Brownell's rust remover, which might lighten some of the rust inside pitting.

And you might not like the results. Sometimes these things look better unmolested.
Michael Baresi

Post by Michael Baresi »

Thanks for the tips guys

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”