modifying a beatle bass into a beatle guitar using tele hardware

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Jedi Clampett

modifying a beatle bass into a beatle guitar using tele hardware

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I am pretty new at all this, having made several solid body electric guitars, but I buy necks, have limited facility and tools and endless dreams and imagination.
So, I got a beatle bass body from guitar fetish for $20 and want to convert it into a guitar using telecaster hardware, technically would be an esquire since only using the bridge pickup. I think these bodies are used for Jay Turser and Rogue Musician Friend Beatle basses and are beat up.

The pic is taken from a hofner video that shows the interior, I assume it is the same for mine.
So this is a hollow body with an arched top.
I measured for a 24.5" scale for the bridge and have to bring the neck way into the body, so will be cutting off aprox 6" of the top of the body so all that area that tapers into the neck will be cut off.

I plan to remove the top and put blocks under the bridge area and the neck area and so can use my Stewmac plastic neck cavity template to route for a fender style neck. I am either looking for some encouragement or ideas?

Basically remove arch top-put in block supports- glue new flat top back on- route for neck and mount bridge.

Please confirm this is a good route to go (pun intended) or suggest alternate ways to mount the tele hardware and fender neck. By shortening the body allows the bridge to be put in a good spot and by replacing the top allows easy access to glue in blocks, actually the neck block will get shorter when I cut the body will leave the remainder inside and then just add to it as much as I need to support the neck. How long would you suggest the neck block be to support the neck considering I am using a fender style tele neck?
Attachments
Hoffner beatle bass interior.JPG
Jedi Clampett

Re: modifying a beatle bass into a beatle guitar using tele hardware

Post by Jedi Clampett »

The spot I am going to cut off from the guitar body is right where the small neck curve is, so if you can imagine turning that block into a rectangle, so there is enough block to hold shape. I think I will remove the top first so I can make sure the body shape will not shift and there is enough support for the neck route.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

how do I get the glue to soften to get the top off, if no one replies, will post as new topic, but it fits this one too
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

No need to start a new discussion. What kind of glue is it?
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

how would I know what glue it is? anyway, I used a trim router and routed the edge then took a razer knife and removed the top, now am sanding it and making a new .25" flat plywood top. The problem with using steam is that the whole guitar might come apart. Have to put more blocks in it and shorten the guitar so that the neck joint and bridge will be in the correct spots.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Different types of glue leave characteristic residue which is often of a certain color. For example: hide glue is brown, Titebond is yellow, Resorcinol is purple.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”