Stubborn blushing after neck reset

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Fren Asken

Stubborn blushing after neck reset

Post by Fren Asken »

Working on an old 0017 and the blushing is pretty obvious on either side of the fretboard tongue, even after trying a gentle wipe with denatured alcohol. Any suggestions?

--
Fren Asken
Dave Weir

Re: Stubborn blushing after neck reset

Post by Dave Weir »

I used the Behlan's spray blush remover on an 1945 Gretsch that was my first (and last) neck rest. It worked kind of o.k. but I wouldn't say great. I was timid about using too much. I decided to just accept it. Two years later, the blush is completely gone.
Fren Asken

Post by Fren Asken »

I ended up lightly brushing retarder on the affected area and it worked great.
--
Fren Asken
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Often just a light spray of lacquer thinner will remove the blush. Make sure the surface is clean before doing this because anything on it can become part of the finish. Brushing thinner on can work but if you have to go over the area more than once you can leave brush marks in the now softening finish. The spray leaves less "tracks".
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Behlen's and Mohawk's blush remover is mostly retarder (butyl cellosolve) in a handy spray can. Slowing the solvent evaporation allows the water vapor (blush) to escape. Using denatured alcohol can sometimes attract moisture rather than disperse it. "Slow" lacquer thinners usually retard drying and can also help remove blush.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”