Mandolin ID

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
brian gardiner

Mandolin ID

Post by brian gardiner »

The label
The label
A friend has an old mandolin and has asked me to look at it. It's rough, with a piece of fretboard missing (everything from the body joint forward) and it looks like the neck was once broken, and somewhat poorly repaired.

I'm hoping to id the mandolin, before talking to her. Age, make and possible value would be of interest. It is a bowl style, basic research suggests it might be a 1920-ish instrument (based on the tuning peg and pickguard style).

The label says:

A. GALIANO,

FABRICANTE DE

ANDOLINI

E

CHITTARE Garanditi

Anyone have any experience with this type of mandolin.

Thanks ever so much. I have a few pictures, I'll try to include them, but it's also my first post here so I'm not 100% sure of the logistics of the board.
Attachments
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG
Barry Daniels

Re: Mandolin ID

Post by Barry Daniels »

I have repaired several similar bowl type mandolins. There were tons of them made during the early 1900s. Not worth a lot, but they are fun to play. Shouldn't be too hard to replace the fretboard on that one.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I suspect the label says "Manolini e Chittare" which looks like Italian for Mandolins and Guitars. I've seen a few like these around that folks have held onto over the generations. They are always in terrible shape and covered with lots of shell inlay.
brian gardiner

Post by brian gardiner »

David King wrote:I suspect the label says "Manolini e Chittare" which looks like Italian for Mandolins and Guitars. I've seen a few like these around that folks have held onto over the generations. They are always in terrible shape and covered with lots of shell inlay.
Actually, we're both wrong "mandolini..." :D

But yea, your right, looking at it there's definitely an "M" there. Makes more sense that way too.

Thanks for your comment.
brian gardiner

Post by brian gardiner »

Barry Daniels wrote:I have repaired several similar bowl type mandolins. There were tons of them made during the early 1900s. Not worth a lot, but they are fun to play. Shouldn't be too hard to replace the fretboard on that one.
Is there any way to make sure there not worth very much. I don't suspect it is, but I'd hate to butcher the value on something.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Barry.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

There are lots of references to mandolins like this on line (try google "A Galiano"). If this were in perfect condition it might be worth something (and only if someone wanted to buy it).

I think you can safely proceed with your repair.
brian gardiner

Post by brian gardiner »

Thanks Joshua. I did google the various markings on the label, but it all seems to be a kind of generic stuff. Rather like a violin with "Stradivari" and "Faciebat anna 17___ " which is in every other violin you'll find at a market or antique store.

Joshua Levin-Epstein wrote:There are lots of references to mandolins like this on line (try google "A Galiano"). If this were in perfect condition it might be worth something (and only if someone wanted to buy it).

I think you can safely proceed with your repair.
brian gardiner

Post by brian gardiner »

So a bit of an update. I had this in my local wood speciality store this morning and the instrument expert id'd the bowl as Indian Rosewood. Don't know if that changes opinions about it, but he thought it was worth enough that it was worth restoring as much as possible. Here's a picture of the back.
Attachments
Indian Rosewood bowl
Indian Rosewood bowl
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

No difference. Most all of the pre-war bowl backs were rosewood. On the web they sell for between one and two hundred dollars.
MIMF Staff
brian gardiner

Post by brian gardiner »

Barry Daniels wrote:No difference. Most all of the pre-war bowl backs were rosewood. On the web they sell for between one and two hundred dollars.
Thanks Barry, and thanks everyone who answered. Whether I should do the repairs or not is all a bit moot now, I put some heat on the nut to remove it, and the fingerboard came off to the third fret, so the jobs on. I'll post a picture of the finished job.
Thomas Wentzel

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

This mandolin came from one of the shops of the so-called 'Italian Luthier Guild' of makers working in NYC in the first quarter of the 20th century. Cerrito, Iucci, and DiAngelico (the most famous) are some of the names, but there were dozens of them. Many worked across the river in Jersy City at the Oscar Schmidt plant making Stellas et al.

There never was a Galiano making instruments in America, it was a name adopted from the old country.

This is actually a well-made instrument, made by expert hands in a small workshop using top-shelf materials. I've owned a number of guitars from these shops.

A few years back there was a show at the Met that highlighted these guitars.

In excellent playing condition it could be a thousand dollar piece, give or take. Well worth taking care in bringing in back on line.

Use an lighted inspection mirror to look under the top, often they are signed.

Tom

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”