Electric guitar necks that need help

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Peter Vieth

Electric guitar necks that need help

Post by Peter Vieth »

I was cleaning out my closet because I knew there was a neck somewhere in there I'd like for a project. But instead of the pristine maple neck I remember having I found four rosewood Ibanez Wizard necks, each needing some help.

Few questions, since I've replaced a fretboard once (too long ago to remember the process) and fretted two project guitars.

Is it easier to refret and fix damage to a rosewood fretboard or just tear the old fretboard off and start from scratch? One has pretty bad gouges. Looks like the prior owner had claws.

Is there some consideration to replacing a rosewood fretboard with a maple one?

What are the lazy man's options for a new fretboard? I have a two year old. Or do I just buy a new neck and sell these on eBay :)

One neck has a twist at the low frets (1-3) on the high string side. The higher string frets are very noticeably lower than the other frets. The E and A side is slightly raised. This neck has a very cool looking flame on the back which I bet might have something to do with the twist. My assumption is that attempting to straighten it with a reglue of the fretboard is not a high likelihood of success.

The final neck is a Fender that is in good shape but has narrow/short frets which I can't play.
Barry Daniels

Re: Electric guitar necks that need help

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yes, no, maybe, depends, sort of.

Just kidding. In reality it is impossible to answer any of those questions without a lot more information and maybe pictures. But at the end of the day the answer should be what do you want to do? I am sure that any of those necks could be repaired if you have the time and the skills to tackle them.
MIMF Staff
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Electric guitar necks that need help

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

The first neck you mention is the one with the gouges.
Those can be filled. Or sanded down flat if the gouges aren't too deep.
In the past I have used a dremel to rout out a damaged area, and glued in new piece of wood. Then sand flat. You have to be very accurate in doing that. It's sorta like doing inlay.

Replacing a rosewood fretboard with maple, is the same as replacing with rosewood. Gotta remove the old, and glue on the new.

The neck with the twist is a bit more difficult, but depending on how badly it is twisted, could be repaired.
Most likely the fret board would have to come off that one too.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”