Luthier's project, flattop, needs to be completed, will pay $

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Justin Nano

Luthier's project, flattop, needs to be completed, will pay $

Post by Justin Nano »

To make a long story short, I have a guitar I had been working on only I never got around to finishing it.
As far as I can tell, it needs 1)the remaining waterbase finish removed, 2) Finish sanding and cleaning 3)the bindings and purflings filled with shellac stick or whatever. I am not concerned about the cosmetics at all, only getting it to playability 3)finish applied, wet sanded, light hand buffing, no wheels 4) bridge fabricated and glued. 5) nut and saddle fabricated, 6)frets dressed and polished 7)set up.

If you are a luthier within a few hours driving distance or otherwise not too far mailing wise from Troy, MI and are interested in completing this project for me, I would be very grateful. I spend many years teaching myself lutherie, and this is the only memory I have left, and want to play it myself, never wanting to sell it or worry about the cosmetics, only the playability. Hell you could even put oil finish and shellac it if it is easier. I want the closest path to playability. I don't care aoout high gloss shine and and whatever. Your help appreciated. I have pictures will email if interested.

The guitar is drednaught with cutaway, E.I. rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, extensive inlay, Adirondack spruce top. It is paua abalone on the rims, top and sides and back.

Thank You
-Justin
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Luthier's project, flattop, needs to be completed, will pay $

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You might contact Mark Swanson who is in Michigan and see if he would be interested in taking on the project. He is a long time member here and if you search the archives you may find some of his work.
David Hutson

Re: Luthier's project, flattop, needs to be completed, will pay $

Post by David Hutson »

Justin Nano wrote:To make a long story short, I have a guitar I had been working on only I never got around to finishing it.
As far as I can tell, it needs 1)the remaining waterbase finish removed, 2) Finish sanding and cleaning 3)the bindings and purflings filled with shellac stick or whatever. I am not concerned about the cosmetics at all, only getting it to playability 3)finish applied, wet sanded, light hand buffing, no wheels 4) bridge fabricated and glued. 5) nut and saddle fabricated, 6)frets dressed and polished 7)set up.

If you are a luthier within a few hours driving distance or otherwise not too far mailing wise from Troy, MI and are interested in completing this project for me, I would be very grateful. I spend many years teaching myself lutherie, and this is the only memory I have left, and want to play it myself, never wanting to sell it or worry about the cosmetics, only the playability. Hell you could even put oil finish and shellac it if it is easier. I want the closest path to playability. I don't care aoout high gloss shine and and whatever. Your help appreciated. I have pictures will email if interested.

The guitar is drednaught with cutaway, E.I. rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, extensive inlay, Adirondack spruce top. It is paua abalone on the rims, top and sides and back.

Thank You
-Justin

If you can, post some pictures of the problem areas that are in need of repair to give a better idea of what it needs.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”