Trying to bend Douglas fir

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Farrell Bullock

Trying to bend Douglas fir

Post by Farrell Bullock »

A friend recently asked me to build him a uke out of Douglas Fir. I've had a lot of success with other woods, however this seems to flake and become very brittle. Does anybody know if there's a way to stop it from flaking as shown in the picture? Is it too much water? Too little? Too hot? To cold? Or is it just the nature of Dougla Fir?
Attachments
Flaking?
Flaking?
Michael Lewis

Re: Trying to bend Douglas fir

Post by Michael Lewis »

How thick is your side material? Did you test it for run out? How hot did you get it? Did you use a metal support strap?

I am amazed by how lightly some ukuleles are built.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I've never bent fir before but I would try more heat for starters. Ukes can be very thin so don't be afraid to thin the sides down; a small decrease in thickness can give you a large increase in bending stiffness. When all else fails, super soft II.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Farrell Bullock

It's 1.8mm, 300F, metal on both sides while bending. It didn't seem hard to bend, like some other woods I've tried, it just flaked like this.

How do you test for runout? (Obviously didn't do this)
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

1.8mm = .072", not overly thin. 300F is probably not enough to soften the wood.

The test for run out is to split a cut off piece to see how the grain runs.
Farrell Bullock

For a tenor uke, should I go less than 1.8. How thin would still be OK?
Steve Woods

Post by Steve Woods »

I've worked with fir a lot over the years in my finish carpentry work. It is very difficult to work with. It is brittle, splintery, unstable, and definitely not suitable for the making of musical instruments!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Steve Woods wrote:I've worked with fir a lot over the years in my finish carpentry work. It is very difficult to work with. It is brittle, splintery, unstable, and definitely not suitable for the making of musical instruments!
Do you speak of Douglas fir, or some other? I'll agree with brittle and splintery, but not unstable. Well-seasoned DF holds still.

For a uke, I'd use DF for the top. Select the lightest piece you can find - light weight and color, the two usually go hand in hand. Bending doesn't sound like something it will want to do, however, without a fight.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”