Truss Rod Adjustment

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Dominik Rother

Truss Rod Adjustment

Post by Dominik Rother »

hi, :o

this is the neck of my esp custom made build 1987 :mrgreen:
when the neck is in place of the body, you only can see the half of the neck screw
is it necessary to loosen all 4 screws of the necks attachment to adjust the neck?? :?: :?:

Attachments
DSCF0013.JPG
DSCF0011.JPG
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Truss Rod Adjustment

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi nextwave and welcome. Please note that we require the use of real (first & last) names on this forum. Please PM me or one of the moderators with your name and we'll fix up your registration. Thanks.
Nick Middleton

Re: Truss Rod Adjustment

Post by Nick Middleton »

The answer to your question is is: Yes! Sadly, you have to completly remove the neck to have access to the rod.

To lessen the frustration I suggest you loosen the strings till slack, attach a capo at the first fret (to keep the string from popping off the tuners) detach the neck and make your adjustment. It'll speed things up a bit and expect to repeat a few times till you get the right setting.

On some guitars you can notch the pickguard with a half-circle to expose the lower-half of the nut. This would allow you to adjust with out taking the neck off.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”