Mutes on Old Gretsch Chet Models

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Alan Peterson

Mutes on Old Gretsch Chet Models

Post by Alan Peterson »

Don't know if any of you have had the need to replace the mute cushions on early Gretsch 'Chet Atkins' model guitars. Mutes on my '65 Gent were in pretty rough shape; the old stuff got dry & crumbly, while the adhesive holding it to the 'elevator' cleat turned gummy and nasty.

I've found the same rubber material that is used to make mouse pads works pretty well. Get a $2 pad from the local computer store, cut it to the same contour as the cleat using a hot wire cutter, glue it down with some Duco and you're good.

The thick felt used in piano hammers works OK too, but you'll need to 'pick' it a lot to soften it up. If you can still find large felt ukulele picks you can trim down, those would work OK too, but the rubber still has the most "give" and works best.
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Mark Wybierala

Re: Mutes on Old Gretsch Chet Models

Post by Mark Wybierala »

The direct replacement mutes are available from Fender and are not expensive at all. I recently was able to acquire the entire mute assembly for an early country gent directly from Fender.
Alan Peterson

Re: Mutes on Old Gretsch Chet Models

Post by Alan Peterson »

Good to know. For a very long time, us 'Gent players had to invent our own repairs when Gretsch was on the ropes. Glad to see Fender is on top of it.
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”