de gluing question

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Robert Smallwood

de gluing question

Post by Robert Smallwood »

Hi.
I have just been entertaining myself removing a fretboard from a neck with heat vinegar and a putty knife...with a view to re-using both.

I've yet to completely clean up the gluing surfaces ready for the next iteration.

Having got all the titebond residue off the surfaces and lightly sanding etc etc do I need to neutralise the vinegar residue with soapy water or baking soda - or anything?

Where's the end point?

(I don't do this a lot) :o)

Thanks,
Rob.
Barry Daniels

Re: de gluing question

Post by Barry Daniels »

If a lot of the vinegar soaked into the wood then a little baking soda wouldn't hurt and would definitely neutralize the acid. However, you would need to apply it with a little water and make it into a paste.
MIMF Staff
Paul Breen

Post by Paul Breen »

A word of warning, make sure your putty/ palette knives are stainless steel or you will create Black mineral stains in the wood from the acidic vinegar oxidizing plain steel.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I just wash the vinegar off with plenty of water, towel dry then let finish drying before gluing. That has always worked for me. As mentioned use stainless.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”