Walden guitar Bolt on neck????

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Fred Williams

Walden guitar Bolt on neck????

Post by Fred Williams »

Does anyone know how the neck of a Walden Natura Model: D560CE is attached. The company is closed. Their online catalogue claims it is a bolt on neck and shows a neck heel with 2 bolts sticking out.

I am doing a neck reset for my brother and when I examine the neck block inside there are NO bolt heads at all. Does anyone know what is going on or where I could find this info? I can't move forward until I know what I am dealing with.

Thanks

fred
David King

Re: Walden guitar Bolt on neck????

Post by David King »

Fred,
You might try a strong magnet to see if you can pick up any trace of steel inside the heel. Martin hides its neck bolt under a wood plaque stuck to the neck block.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

If you have (or know someone who has) one of those metal detectors that you use on rough lumber before running it over a jointer, that might be more sensitive than a hand-held magnet.
==Steve==
Doug Polkat

Post by Doug Polkat »

There is a darkish piece of wood on top of the neck block that has the name Walden printed on it. It's actually super thin and you can push into it with a screwdriver. Search around the cente4r until your screwdriver (or whatever) sinks in, then work the stuff away and you'll find the bolt head inside.
Doug Polkat

Post by Doug Polkat »

I should have mentioned that there are two bolts in the neck block. The second one is higher up (near the fingerboard) and you can't really see it. Uses the same hex tool but is hard to loosen only because you have to feel around with the hex tool. If you want to take the neck completely off, the fingerboard extension is glued to the top so you have to remove that in the traditional way. Good luck.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”