Can anyone identify this instrument?

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Brendon Foley

Can anyone identify this instrument?

Post by Brendon Foley »

This instrument was given to me as it had a broken head-stock. They told me it was a Taropatch but all the references I have found online say the taropatch is a gut/nylon strung instrument and this instrument was fitted with mandolin strings. It also has what looks to me like a mandolin tailpiece albeit very patinated. I though I'd post it here as I assume it was built in the Americas. I was told that it was bought off ebay from someone in Hawaii. It has the smallest fretwire I've ever seen; much smaller than the mandolin fretwire generally available nowadays. Can anyone help?
Attachments
R0020222.JPG
R0020220.JPG
David King

Re: Can anyone identify this instrument?

Post by David King »

The back looks like chestnut. 19th century missionaries had a habit of bringing all manner of non native plants and trees to Hawaii so I suppose it's possible. What's the scale length? That might be a clue. Also it's not impossible that it was restrung with whatever strings were available to whoever owned it.
Brendon Foley

Post by Brendon Foley »

The Scale length is 13 inches. It has a floating bridge whereas the Martin taropatches had a fixed bridge. I forgot to mention that it has no label or markings on it. It's 1 & 1/8 inches wide at the nut. I guess it's possible that someone fitted it with mandolin strings at some stage; the soundboard has sunk a little which could be a clue...
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

With 8 strings, a floating bridge, and a tailpiece, it is probably a mandolinetto.
Brendon Foley

Post by Brendon Foley »

Yes, i'd definitely say it's a mandolinetto. Everything points to it being that. Thanks muchly Clay!
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

A taropatch is a type of ukulele.
A good description would be:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... B-aDYaJAUu

another:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Xfy7iX6R-V

I'd assume the floating bridge on this one was someones attempt to deal with the added stress on the top from using steel strings. Just my guess.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”