mini tuners

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Alan Bates

mini tuners

Post by Alan Bates »

Am looking for a supplier of Mini tuners (Schaller or somebody) that will sell 4+4. Want them for octave mandolin. Everyone just seems to sell 3+3. Someone in Hawaii sold me a set of 4+4 years ago but can't remember his name.??
JC Whitney

Re: mini tuners

Post by JC Whitney »

Try an Amazon search... for "grover ukelele tuners" or "ukelele tuning heads". You should see a number of options.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

LMI sells individual Gotoh encloed minis.
Alan Bates

Post by Alan Bates »

Bob Gramann wrote:LMI sells individual Gotoh encloed minis.
Thanks, Bob
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Using eight of those tuners on a smaller instrument like an octave mandolin makes it very neck-heavy. Thats a lot of metal up there for a small instrument. Maybe you should consider regular mandolin tuners. I like that much better on my instruments.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Sounds like you are looking for mandolin or bouzouki tuners. Shaller and Grover make 4 in line tuners. They will all be lined up, obviously, and this may not be what you want, but they are pretty light. If you get the mandolin tuners be careful that you don't get the F style, as these have a longer shaft on the top 2 tuners of each side to accommodate the wide head of the F style mandolin head. Most of what you find will have the scalloped string post. If you want to do a slotted head, you have to look around for the tuners with straight string posts. If you need those, I can direct you where to find them.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

I love making octave mandolins and have faced the same issue. Buy the tuners you really want on your instrument and if you need to buy two 3X3 sets you just got to suck it up otherwise you'll be compromising your instrument for the sake of a few bucks. I like the Grover open back Sta-Tites. I wait until I find a good price for 3X3 sets and buy four sets so I can use them for three octave mandolins.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”