Ektara, Gopichand, Goatskin problems?

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Stefan Istvan

Ektara, Gopichand, Goatskin problems?

Post by Stefan Istvan »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Stefan Istvan and I am trying to build an Ektara.

Does anyone know how to attach goatskin to the bottom of a gourd? I really have no Idea! Do I use some kind of glue, or pins? I would appreciate your help! I am new here!

I have included a picture for referance! I have no idea how to actually attach the goat skin!

Than you,

Stefan
Jim McConkey

Re: Ektara, Gopichand, Goatskin problems?

Post by Jim McConkey »

Sorry Stefan, you cannot post copyrighted images here for legal reasons, so I have removed your image. Feel free to post a link to the original image, but you cannot copy images from other sites.

There are lots of pictures if you Google Ektara. On some of them the top appears to be glued, and on others, you can see tacks around the edge. The head needs to be soaked and thoroughly wet when you put it on (so it will be taught when it dries), so I'm not sure what kind of glue could be used. Tacking would be much easier.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Stefan Istvan

Post by Stefan Istvan »

Jim McConkey,

I understand (it said so in the forum rules!), and I apologize for this mistake. Thank you for removing the image.

Thank you very much for your advice, I have seen what you have reccomended. Glue or tacks seem to be the solution. With glue, I may just use a mold and clamps to hold everything in place while drying.

Would anyone know what kind of glue I could use? "goat skin" glue? I have no idea, and I am assuming its not just superglue. Some kind of glue that is used for organic materials I supppose?

I hope to read from you all soon!

Stefan
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I have never tried gluing a wet head. I have always either used tacks, or a ring (like on a banjo) to stretch the head. Hide glue (like your goat skin glue, but made from cow hide, I believe) would probably be the best bet. It is dissolved in water to activate it, so try a thick consistency, but the hide will still have to be tacked or somehow kept under tension while the glue dries, which will take a considerable time with a wet head. Superglue is not meant for this kind of job, and it is catalyzed by water, so putting a wet hide on it would make the instrument very hot very quickly. I have never heard of superglue starting fires, but it does get hot enough to cause burns if you touch it.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Jon Whitney

Post by Jon Whitney »

They look like simplified gourd banjos. I've never made a gourd banjo, though I probably will some time, but I've made a couple of tack head banjos with wood rims. Use hot hide glue, or probably fresh liquid hide glue would also be OK. When I mount a wet skin head with hot hide glue, the evaporation cools down the glue before I can get all the tacks in, leaving some lumpiness under the skin where the glue gelled. So, I get a tea kettle going and hold the rim in the steam and go around to re-heat the glue. That way it all flattens down nicely. Let it dry for at least a day or two.

I doubt the species of hide glue - goat, cow, or other - will make any difference. It's all collagen at that point.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

Hide glue or Titebond will work. The skin needs to be wet so it will stretch, as has been said. You will also need a way to tension the head while it dries. I repaired a Shamisen sometime ago using a goatskin. Shop-made clamps and twisted ropes for tension. Perhaps this photo will help.
ShamisenRepair3.JPG
ShamisenRepair3.JPG (40.72 KiB) Viewed 9190 times

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”