Harp guitar build

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Greg Martin

Harp guitar build

Post by Greg Martin »

In diving into the harp guitar plans and i see ill need a radius dish for my sullivam elliot style harp guitar build.what im unclear on is how the dome transistions from radius to flat as it comes to the hollow arm. I was thinking a slight 25 foot radius dish would allow that transistion any suggestions?
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Harp guitar build

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Many people who build with a "dome" make the upper bout "flat" to more easily fit the neck and FB. extension. That technique would lend itself to your project.
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

Yes this confirms what 2 other luthiers said that a slight dome ,maybe 30 ft radius (5/64), would be enough,as you dont want to over tention the top. One said he only domes his x brace in the lower bout only,other braces are flat, and he tapers back the hollow arm 1/2",this is to help with strings line up on one plane,also it helps you see the fret dots on the guitar,which can be hidden by the hollow arm.much more research is needed before i start forsure.
Im amazed how willing most all the builders ive contacted are to help answer specific questions, as well as mention areas to watch out for that i would never have thought about ,maybe until it was to late.
Ive got plans now and im sure ill only change a few things along the way.mostly i want to give the player easier access to frets above the 14th,as it seems the super treble strings the way they are done limit access to those frets. Many state its a compromise and the super treble notes still give you some of the notes you cant get to by fretting.many builders put the zither pins near the cutaway and fine tuners at the lower bout, others attach a sort of out rigger to attach guitar tuners to.im leaning toward putting the fine tuners near the cutaway,and pins near the lower bout where you wont hit them with your arm,the fine tuners are not as tall as the pins.
Anyone else have info im open to hear it all. Thanks
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

I found a company called peghed that builds a geared tuner, and the whole thing looks like a standard wooden cello,or violin tuning peg,its 4-1 and should work for hg sub bass strings, comes handed as well.anyone try these?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I have them on my fiddle. They don't help me play any better, but they sure make it easier to tune. I like them.
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

What would be the overall length of a spanish requinto guitar.im thinking of using a short scale on this harp build??
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

When I make a harp guitar I start with plan and side views, and lay out the strings from both orientations first. That allows me to figure out the levels for the guitar soundboard and arm, taking things like doming and the height of sharping lever into account, while keeping the strings all on the same plane. Once all of that has been determined I can make a 'solera' that incorporates all of the final dimensions. The instrument is built top-down on the fixture. It can take three drawings sometimes to get everything right, but it's still a lot quicker than trying to correct things later: it's easier to erase a pencil line and re-draw it than move wood.

I've used Pegheds on a number of projects, and like them a lot. If I ever make a nylon string harp guitar that's probably what I'll use.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”