Ruan (Chinese lute) plans

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Freeman Keller

Ruan (Chinese lute) plans

Post by Freeman Keller »

Has anyone built a Ruan? If so, any ideas on where to get plans and other information.
Jim McConkey

Re: Ruan (Chinese lute) plans

Post by Jim McConkey »

Had to Google this one! For anyone wondering, a or "Ruan xian" (the name of an ancient virtuoso) or "Ruan" for short, is a long-necked Chinese lute. The Wikipedia entry on Zhongruan has some basic construction information, including a link to the Construction of a Ruan (in Chinese), but unfortunately the link does not seem to work.

The ruan was also called qin-pipa in ancient China. Someone (please remind me) posted a link to a series of pictures on pipa construction, which may be of some help.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Freeman Keller

Re: Ruan (Chinese lute) plans

Post by Freeman Keller »

Thank you, Jim. That is helpful and I'll look thru the back issues of GAL stuff to see if there are plans somewhere. A friend has a couple of Ruans and wants another - I thought if I could collect enough information I might try to build one for him. His have bone frets (which he had to replace) and he tells me that traditionally they are played with a stone pick which is very hard on strings (duh).

For a good introduction to both traditional and modern music played on traditional Chinese instruments, including the Ruan, check out Red Chamber. We were fortunate to hear them a year ago - amazing performance.

http://www.mei-han.com/redchamber.html

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”