Bridge for an five course electric Cittern

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
tony lubold

Bridge for an five course electric Cittern

Post by tony lubold »

Well, you've been helpful figuring out the electronics for this creature but now I'm faced with the bridge. Ideally, I'd like to do something like maybe a Hotshot Hardtail (for example) so that the string heights, etc are adjustable. The problem being the ten strings. Again, ideally I'd like a string spread at the bridge to be 2.125". Alternatively, do you see any problems with a wood and bone bridge on an electric? All of this is way out of my league. Thanks, Tony
Michael Lewis

Re: Bridge for an five course electric Cittern

Post by Michael Lewis »

Do you mean "Hipshot" or Hotshot? You might contact the maker and see if they would make a 10 string version. Hipshot has a 9 string model available.
tony lubold

Post by tony lubold »

Yeah, Hipshot....sorry about that and thanks
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

How about using a Gotoh twelve string bridge as your starting point? Use five of the double saddles and make a new base plate with sides similar to the Hipshot Hardtail's out of either wood or (plated after fabrication) brass? If wood, you'll have to incorporate a method to ground the strings - perhaps a metal plate at the ball ends. Going custom would also allow you to set the overall string spacing to your liking.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Link to a good line drawing of the Gotoh 12 string bridge... https://images.campyent.com/sites/defau ... _gtc12.png
String spacing off the shelf is 2.185".

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”