Building a medieval symphonie

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
gordon simmons

Building a medieval symphonie

Post by gordon simmons »

Hello, all.

New to instrument making and this forum.

I've searched the forum but have not come up with anyone building what is known to me as a medieval symphonie: this is a youtube link to show you what the instrument is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3bFbPs6m90. Basically it is a wheel bowed stringed instrument, something like a hurdy gurdy but much simpler, and from what I am reading dating back to the 12th or 13th century.

I'm having a heck of a time finding any plans for an instrument like this anywhere on the web.

I've never built an instrument before so I wanted to start simple: two drone strings, one melody, no chien or trompete.

Anyone know if plans exist out there?

Thanks in advance.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Building a medieval symphonie

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Interesting. A few thoughts;
1. Maybe try contacting the YouTube poster (Bryan Tolley)?
2. There are a couple hits in our libraries for "symphonie" that may or may not be helpful, see http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 965#p18277.
3. Hopefully Yuri T (an HG builder who frequents the forum) will see this and might have some ideas for you
gordon simmons

Post by gordon simmons »

Thanks, Charlie.

I did contact Mr Tolley. Very nice guy. He offered advice but doesn't sell plans. I'll keep researching and checking back here, of course.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Gordon - have you seen this site?... https://sites.google.com/site/mccormack ... hesinfonye
It includes free full size pdf plans for a "sinfonye" along with pics of the finished product. Looks pretty interesting. If you build one, I hope that you'll post your work here on the MIMF.
gordon simmons

Post by gordon simmons »

Thanks, JC. This is great. I have not come across this before. And I will definitely be posting progress once I start building.

I appreciate your help!
Yuri Terenyi

Post by Yuri Terenyi »

I only saw it now. And Charlie, I only built a few, so not what I'd call a full-time professional builder. (However, I make a lot of kinds of instruments, so there is a bit of experience there.)
Now to the point. In essentials the symphonie (there are many spellings) doesn't differ from the keybox of any hurdy-gurdy, with a soundboard added. You can view the h-g as a symphonie with an attached bigger resonator.So if you study h-g plans, you will get all the essential measurements, just take the sounbox away, lenghten the keybox and add a soundboard.
(That was easy, wasn't it?)
gordon simmons

Post by gordon simmons »

Thanks, Yuri. Appreciate the advice!

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”