Short Mtn Dulcimer Scale Length

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Andrew Porter

Short Mtn Dulcimer Scale Length

Post by Andrew Porter »

I'm visiting family literally on the other side of the world. I want to take some mtn dulcimers as gifts. I want to take short versions for luggage considerations. I'm thinking of 24" - 30" overall with ~18" scale length. My concern is coming up with a friendly key i.e. C, G, D, A. Is this workable?
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust
Michael Lewis

Re: Short Mtn Dulcimer Scale Length

Post by Michael Lewis »

Use an on-line string gauge calculator. You put in the scale length and the note you want to achieve, the computer does the rest.
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Tension and guage comes in there somewhere. The calculators I've looked at don't seem to care about breaking strength or at what point the string is too loose. I was looking for some tried values as a reference point.
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Just found the Strothers String Calculator ( http://www.strothers.com/string_choice.htm ) which advised 15 guage string for 18" scale length for a dulicmer tuned to key of D. Does that concur with anyone's experience? Any recommendations on the bass string guage, maybe 30w?
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

I don't know anything about dulcimers, so I can't give you specific advise, but the follow formula would give you some guidance:
guage string of short scale length = guage string of normal scale length * normal scalelength / short scale length

If you also want to use a different tuning then it is also possible to calculate the new string guage by using this formula:
guage string of short scale length = guage string of normal scale length / 2^(number of semitones you want to tune up / 12) * normal scalelength / short scale length

This would give you the string gauges you need to keep the same tension on your strings.

Hope this will help.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Dulcimer is my main instrument, though I have never played one that short. Choose the key first, depending on the style of the intended player. Old-time music around here is mostly in D, with some G and A. Any other key is pretty much useless, but your player's mileage may vary depending on preferred repertoire and bandmates. This discussion on Everything Dulcimer covers some of the shorter lengths, and gives examples of commercial instruments you can look at. Also google soprano or alto dulcimer and you will find a lot of examples. For your intended scale length, I would probably recommend a 3-string and go for G or A.

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discu ... =6&t=27473
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Jim - Thanks for that link. Beede's little dulcimer gives me the confidence I need to proceed. I'll post a pic when I'm done

Thanks all, for the help
John LaTorre

Post by John LaTorre »

I realize that I'm getting into this discussion late, but...

If I had to make such a dulcimer, I think I'd want to use conventional string-sets for dulcimers, so that whoever you're giving it to wouldn't have to worry about sourcing odd gauges of strings. Most of the commercial string sets are usually designed for the C-G-G or D-A-A of a dulcimer with a scale length of around 25"-27".

So I'd go with the same scale length you'd get if you took your conventional dulcimer and fretted the bass string up a fourth ... C to F, for example. On the dulcimer I happen to have handy, that's about 19". Or if you fretted it up to G, you'd have a scale length of around 17" or thereabouts. F and G are eminently playable tunings.

Once you have your scale length, go to Musicmakers' on-line fret calculator:

http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... e=fretcalc

and get the dimensions for the fret intervals. Easy-peasy.

So you'd make your dulcimer and, by tuning it to these new values, you'd have the same tension on the string as you did with the longer scale at the lower values.
John LaTorre
Sacramento CA
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Only got one instrument close enough to bring with me. I still have to lower the nut and bridge and put strings on. Thanks for the suggestions John. That's pretty much what I wound up doing. I hope to finish up in a few days. I'll post a picture and let you know how it turned out.
John LaTorre

Post by John LaTorre »

Andrew Porter wrote:I'll post a picture and let you know how it turned out.
Great! I'd love to see it!
John LaTorre
Sacramento CA
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Tuned G G C
Scale Len 18 in.
LOA 24 in.
Width 7 in.

(sorry if img too big, tried shrinking with no luck)
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Fairly please with it. Sound is good. I don't really play these but the fret board seems to be to low to use a noter stick. What is the typical height of the fret board to the top plate?
John LaTorre

Post by John LaTorre »

Very pretty. I'm glad it worked out well for you.
John LaTorre
Sacramento CA
Tom Owen

Post by Tom Owen »

Sorry to be so late into this... but I have built many of what I called "travelin"" dulcimers. 16" scale tuned DAD one octave higher than full scale. Standard strings no problems and it gives one another voice when played with a standard dulcimer.
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Thanks for responding Tom. Mine was an 18" scale tuned CGG so that is consistant.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”