Lute Plans

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Terry Aucoin

Lute Plans

Post by Terry Aucoin »

Greetings people!

I just got my hands on a really hard to find lute construction book. The first two pages has Lute plans that are 1/4 scale in actual size. If I bring it to a printing place they would have to print it 75% bigger for full size right?

Thanks
Terry
Greg Robinson

Re: Lute Plans

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Terry,
Please note that we require use of full real names (first and last) as usernames on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your full name so we can update your registration.
Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

No--

You would want 400% of the original (edit-- reduced) size. (I think!)

If you take it into a copy machine, play with the numbers until the size meets the measurements on the drawing.
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi Terry- If the book you have is "Historical Lute Construction" by Robert Lundberg, the plans discussed in the text are available full sized from GAL (Guild of American Luthiers). Google for the website.

Mike
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Yes they would need to be printed at 400% though it may need a little fudging to get it spot on. I'm not sure a copy place would do it for you due to copyrights. . .
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Terry Aucoin

Post by Terry Aucoin »

I have the Lundberg book Mike, and I adore it. The one I am speaking of is the Lute Construction by Robert S cooper.A smaller blue cover book. I have the GAL plans plans for a 6 and 8 string lute, and neither have rib templates. The cooper book does.
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi Terry- I also have the Lundberg book and one of David Van Edwards' building courses (renaissance lute). I am not familiar with the Cooper book. It sounds like a "must have."
Dana Emery

Post by Dana Emery »

All lutes will flex enough during assembly that you really cannot expect to make an accurate copy from line drawing, even working over a mould; dont obsess over it. What is important is to get the rib edges fitted closely enough for a good glue joint and reasonable looking shape.

Some Staples stores have equipment that will enlarge to 400%, I have done this with plans for model ships. Lines get thicker as you do this, and it may be necessary to do it in stages (eg, 202%, 199%). You may want to add a strip of paper with a long scale on it to the original to give something to confirm the blow-up; it can get confused in the store. I find it useful to pencil in the blow-up factor on all copies. I am careful to choose times when the store is slow to do this, staff cooperatino is best when they are not under pressure, and given a chance this project will be interesting.

Been awhile since I saw any review of the cooper book, not sure its a must have; there has been very little published in the way of how-to for luthierie; most of what I consider must will be found in the Galpin Society Journal et al articles giving measurements and photos of surviving lutes and fragments.

The Lute chapter in Charles Ford's Making Musical Instruments, and the Lundberg book are musts, but even both of those dont cover it in enough detail; an aprenticeship with an experienced maker will help a lot, there are some things that just cant be learned from a written account. Periodically there are construction seminars worth traveling to.
Markus Schmid

Post by Markus Schmid »

Mike Wilson wrote:[...]
I am not familiar with the Cooper book. It sounds like a "must have."
Dana Emery wrote:[...]
Been awhile since I saw any review of the cooper book, not sure its a must have; [...]
Part of a short description of the Cooper book (cited text found in an offer on Internet):
[...]
The plan in this book covers a heavy German 1920s lute [...]
I guess it will depend on what someone is looking for if this is a "must have" or not.
Andres Sender

Post by Andres Sender »

A single rib template presupposes a semi-circular bowl, which is acceptable in come contexts but not others.

The more historical you go, the less desirable such a bowl is, although some historical bowls can be 'fudged' this way if you understand the concept behind the original.

Terry what are your goals here? What method of building do you want to pursue? Too bad the library's not up, lots of good stuff was in there on this.
Alan Block

Post by Alan Block »

As Mr. Sender mentioned, a semicircular bowl is not as desirable as the more difficult flattened bowl. Since each rib has it's own shape (each pair actually) you will need a plan with templates for each rib. Since you will be putting so much time and effort into this it does not make sense to skimp on the design or materials. I would suggest you find out which extant lutes have a plan available for it and decide which one you would like to have.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”