African Lute

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Mike Wilson

African Lute

Post by Mike Wilson »

I picked this up this African lute at a swap meet last summer. The only way I can see to tune the strings is increase the tension by twisting them. Anyone on this forum familiar with these?
Shepherds lute 2.jpg
Shepherds lute 2.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 7333 times
Shepherds Lute.jpg
Shepherds Lute.jpg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 7333 times
Jim McConkey

Re: African Lute

Post by Jim McConkey »

Where the strings are attached to the end of the neck, there should be rings of leather, or some other material, which I can see in your pictures. You should be able to slide these up and down to tune the strings. This web site should give you some more details.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks, Jim!
Josh Humphrey

Post by Josh Humphrey »

The Mandinga Kora is basically the same instrument, with a specific number of strings and tuning. It is tuned by moving the leather straps up or down, usually to a diatonic scale.

I have done work on several- restringing, etc., and one one replaced the leather bands with violin tuning pegs, which are much easier to tune. Modern ones are even made with machine tuning heads and pickups. I have learned a lot from this Kora builder http://www.kumbengokoras.com/. I recently built a similar instrument out of solid mahogany, with rosewood tuning pegs
Simon Chadwick

Post by Simon Chadwick »

Josh, some would disagree that friction pegs are "easier to tune" than the traditional leather ring. They are just different. The rings for instance allow you to adjust the spacing of the strings on the pole - not possible with fixed pegs.

Do you think this one illustrated is a cheap tourist instrument?

I found this website the most useful resource to learn the rudiments of playing: http://www.kora-music.com

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”