hurdy gurdy

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Rollie Baldwin

hurdy gurdy

Post by Rollie Baldwin »

im planning on building a hurdy gurdy,,,,any advice,,,indianabob, grower of fine weeds and a few hostas
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: hurdy gurdy

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Bob,
Please note that we require the use of real (first & last) names on this forum. Please PM me with your name and I'll fix it up.

Thanks,
Charlie
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

There are parts, perhaps full kits, available at a Minnesota company whose name escapes me at the moment. I'm sure you could find them if you google.
Kaptain Karl
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Karl is probably thinking of Musicmakers- they sell a variety of different instruments and some plans too. I have a plan, maybe in Hungarian(?) and I don't know if it is still available or not: "Vevlira", "Ritad Och Konstruerad" by Eugen Joss. Also there is the "Hurdy Gurdy Handbook" by Nagy Balazs that has some construction details in it but I don't think enough to make an instrument though.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Thanks Charlie, that's the place. I've had good, though limited, experience with them.
Kaptain Karl
razzledog

Post by razzledog »

I have JUST commenced building a Hurdy Gurdy...So far I've finished the back and sides...I usually build cameras.
:D

Razz.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi razzledog,

Please note that we require the use of full (first and last) real names on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles".
Please let us know your name so that we can update your registration.
Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
John LaTorre

Post by John LaTorre »

Charlie Schultz wrote:Karl is probably thinking of Musicmakers- they sell a variety of different instruments and some plans too.
I've built a hurdy-gurdy from Musicmakers plans, and they're pretty straightforward. My only quibble was that their method of mounting the wheel using all-thread didn't work for me, so I spent a little money getting an axle custom-made by a local machine shop. I believe I also relocated a couple of the tuning pegs for easier tuning.

You can also find plans from Susato and the Guild of American Luthiers. (I have both of them, and the Susato Minnesinger is on my short list of instruments to buid.) And if you're really on a budget, I think Dennis Havlena's web page has instructions for a hurdy-gurdy you can make for about twenty bucks.
John LaTorre
Sacramento CA

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”