new simple banjo design

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Jon Whitney

Re: new simple banjo design

Post by Jon Whitney »

Matt Berg wrote:Have any of you built a kit for these instruments that has rounded corners? Last year I had a class build wooden head banjos. These PETE head instruments might make a good ukulele project for this year. Rounding the corners would add to the ukulele nature of the instruments.

Any ideas?
Matt, the corners on the instruments shown are rounded off at about 1/2" radius. The 3/4" thick sides and ends of the box leave a fair amount of room for even more rounding, and if you wanted to add corner blocks, you could really go to town. A narrower (4-string) neck could be fitted and you'd have a ukulele - or at least a banjo-uke. Go for it.
Matt Berg

Post by Matt Berg »

Thanks for sparking the idea guys. I gave my EB class of 5-7 year old students a choice of making "pop bottle" or "peach crate" ukuleles. The attached photo shows some of the results. Don't tell little ones what they cannot do and they will do wonderful things. BTW these ukes compare favorably with the stuff Guitar Center sells.
Attachments
pbpcukes.jpg
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Lovely instruments!

5-6 year old luthiers?
Jon Whitney

Post by Jon Whitney »

Matt - that is so excellent! Exactly the type of thing I have been trying to accomplish.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”