What string spacing at bridge for a tenor uke?

Ukulele discussions
Alain Bieber

What string spacing at bridge for a tenor uke?

Post by Alain Bieber »

This one is my first, I hesitate on the question of string spacing at the bridge . Advices? Thanks.
Wayne Brown

Re: What string spacing at bridge for a tenor uke?

Post by Wayne Brown »

Alain,
I have a plan for a tenor uke by Henry Wickham. The string spacing at the bridge is not specified but measures about 1.65". I have a bridge from Stew Mac which measures about 1.60". I hope that helps.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

I don't work out string spacing at the bridge until the uke is assembled. Then I run strings from the two outside nut slots along the fretboard at my desired spacing from the edge - this is maybe 3mm at the nut and 4mm at the body join. Those two lines give me the spacing for the outer strings, and I divide the distance between them to position the inner two. Now I can finish my bridge.

If there's any inaccuracy in my neck making (any? there is always some!) then this gives me optimum playability and lets me put the saddle at the right point. My bridge might not be precisely centred on the body, but the result is much better for playing. And in any event I find that it's much more noticeable if the strings don't run symmetrically down the neck than if the bridge is a fraction off-centre.
Michael A Shelley

Post by Michael A Shelley »

I do what Chris does. I like the string to be parallel to the edge of the fretboard. Except I don't space the center strings exactly evenly - I space them so the distance between the strings is constant. Otherwise the space between the heavier strings is too narrow. In my opinion.
mike wingate

Post by mike wingate »

1.6" on mine.
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Thanks to all.

Return to “Ukuleles”