StewMac tools

8 string lap steel string spacing

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.

8 string lap steel string spacing

Postby Bob Gleason » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I make some 6 string lap steels and want to try an 8. Lots of different string spacings on these creatures. If you have one, would appreciate knowing the outside string spacing at the nut and bridge. Some converge at the nut and some are parallel. If you have an opinion on that, let me know too. Thanks in advance.--Bob
Attachments
DSC_0017.jpg
Bob Gleason

Re: 8 string lap steel string spacing

Postby Peter Wilcox » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 pm

I made this one several years ago. I made the string spacing 3/8" like my dobro (at the bridge), so the total is 2 5/8" (21/8) both at the bridge and the nut. Unfortunately I've never learned to play it, as the mental confusion of going from 6 to 8 strings was even worse than going from 4 to 5 strings on bass (which I was able to accomplish.) :D
Attachments
done-19.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Re: 8 string lap steel string spacing

Postby Bob Gleason » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:12 am

Peter-Thanks! I think I'll be in about the same predicament with 8 strings, but it looks worth a try. Enjoy your music.--Bob
Bob Gleason

Return to Other Stringed Instruments