Ivory frogs

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Greg Steil

Ivory frogs

Post by Greg Steil »

what is the correct protocol in re Ivory Frogs. Just got given a handful of bows, all junk except for the one with the Ivory frog. Looks pretty old. Does not have the curl.
Brian Evans

Re: Ivory frogs

Post by Brian Evans »

As I understand it, for genuine Ivory that is less than 100 years old (they treat genuine and verifiable antiques differently), you pretty much can't trade in it (sell it, buy it, or acquire it), transport it across state lines or import or export it across international borders. There are exceptions for personal musical instruments, and something that contains minuscule amounts of ivory. Here is a good overview: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/storie ... ivory-law/

We have, like a lot of people have, various antique heirlooms that are of, or include, ivory. They just stay at home.
David King

Post by David King »

Put an ebony frog on it and move on unless it's a late 19th or early 20th c French bow with a name.
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

not really a "marked" bow, sorta "snakewood"....meaning probably painted on stripes. I just want to get rid of it is why I asked. Thanks. I'll hang it on the wall, no big shakes.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Frogs are pretty replaceable. If you rehair the bow you can change out the frog at that time, and just pass it on to whomever acquires the bow. If it had an real ivory frog it might be a decent bow and deserve a better place than as a wall hanger.

" Does not have the curl"

Do you mean it is an old style bow with a straight back or that is is a modern bow that needs the curve put back into the bow?

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”