StewMac tools

Ivory frogs

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.

Ivory frogs

Postby Greg Steil » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:38 pm

what is the correct protocol in re Ivory Frogs. Just got given a handful of bows, all junk except for the one with the Ivory frog. Looks pretty old. Does not have the curl.
Greg Steil

Re: Ivory frogs

Postby Brian Evans » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 am

As I understand it, for genuine Ivory that is less than 100 years old (they treat genuine and verifiable antiques differently), you pretty much can't trade in it (sell it, buy it, or acquire it), transport it across state lines or import or export it across international borders. There are exceptions for personal musical instruments, and something that contains minuscule amounts of ivory. Here is a good overview: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/storie ... ivory-law/

We have, like a lot of people have, various antique heirlooms that are of, or include, ivory. They just stay at home.
Brian Evans

Postby David King » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Put an ebony frog on it and move on unless it's a late 19th or early 20th c French bow with a name.
David King

Postby Greg Steil » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 am

not really a "marked" bow, sorta "snakewood"....meaning probably painted on stripes. I just want to get rid of it is why I asked. Thanks. I'll hang it on the wall, no big shakes.
Greg Steil

Return to Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows