StewMac tools

Wood Used on Crappy Violin

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.

Wood Used on Crappy Violin

Postby Alan Peterson » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Okay, so Jet.com and Amazon are selling the GoPlus "Durable" violin for, basically, lunch money. I'm not buying one, but am curious about this line from the product description: "The head, back and sides of violin are made from Composite Wood".

Where I come from, that means MDF or flake board. What are they talking about?
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Alan Peterson

Re: Wood Used on Crappy Violin

Postby Steve Sawyer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:20 pm

I can't speak to that particular product, Alan, but another (and I think more likely) possibility is hardwood laminate - a fancy plywood. I have a really nice Simon & Patrick acoustic that pairs this stuff on the sides & back with a solid spruce top. Sounds damn good fir a $350 guitar. I gave no idea if it would work as well for a violin.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Postby Chuck Tweedy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:28 am

wow - just looked at the pictures that Amazon has up of these. The picture of the pegbox really says it all. Only 3 strings coming out of it, wood fuzz everywhere, and the nut looks like a wood-chip someone picked up off the floor.
The pic of the back has a big drip of "varnish" rolling down it.
for $36.59 ... why? It's not even playable. A decoration?
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Chuck Tweedy

Postby Beate Ritzert » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:53 am

You might have a look on my recent electric violin build thread her in this forum. It has been converted from such a beast, and is am showing a picture of it after initially opening the body: viewtopic.php?p=44657#p44657
Beate Ritzert

Postby Chuck Tweedy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 am

I saw your thread Beate - and I'm surprised that one of these poor instruments was good enough to serve as a foundation for what you did. Good job to you!
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Chuck Tweedy

Postby Beate Ritzert » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:06 pm

It was a prototype, and i would never use such an "instrument" again. I have had a lot more work to deal with the insufficient material properties than with the mod itself.

It would probably best to buy the cheapest playable violin for such an instrument. Nowadays that seems to be about twice that price, 13 years ago that was about 3-4 times that price.

It would actually be even better to use a defective instrument, maybe an old german student violin with a totally broken top - but these went away to strange prices...

(I still would like to find a way to build such a top without waisting much wood....)
Beate Ritzert

Return to Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows