New semi acoustic violin completed

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Adam Gardner

New semi acoustic violin completed

Post by Adam Gardner »

It's been years since my last post here, and I finally got back into instrument building now that my kids are old enough to appreciate instruments of their own.
This is a semi-hollow electric violin I built for my son. It's a neck-through 4/4 scale violin.
The neck and body back are mahogany, the face is figured maple. There is a strip of poplar in the middle with ebony veneer on either side of it to give a nod to traditional purfling.
The Tuning pegs, nut, fingerboard, and tailpiece are ebony. There is a piezo pickup embedded into the face of the violin just behind the bridge.
I had finished the violin, but after getting some feedback from a few violinists (I play bass, not violin) I am making some changes to the neck taper, and thinning the peg box down a bit, as well as doing some decorative inlay on the scrolls.
Attachments
Rear view of the incomplete headstock
Rear view of the incomplete headstock
Scroll carving nearly complete
Scroll carving nearly complete
Lower view
Lower view
Back
Back
Front
Front
Bob Francis

Re: New semi acoustic violin completed

Post by Bob Francis »

Please keep this updated Adam!
Thanks
Adam Gardner

Re: New semi acoustic violin completed

Post by Adam Gardner »

I got some good feedback from a couple of violinists that I'll be integrating into the design. I'll post pictures as soon as the changes are made!
I need to relocate the tuning pegs a bit, thin the neck down, put more of a pronounced radius on the fingerboard, and lighten the body a bit. The weight was a consistent complaint.

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”