StewMac tools

New semi acoustic violin completed

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.

New semi acoustic violin completed

Postby Adam Gardner » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm

It's been years since my last post here, and I finally got back into instrument building now that my kids are old enough to appreciate instruments of their own.
This is a semi-hollow electric violin I built for my son. It's a neck-through 4/4 scale violin.
The neck and body back are mahogany, the face is figured maple. There is a strip of poplar in the middle with ebony veneer on either side of it to give a nod to traditional purfling.
The Tuning pegs, nut, fingerboard, and tailpiece are ebony. There is a piezo pickup embedded into the face of the violin just behind the bridge.
I had finished the violin, but after getting some feedback from a few violinists (I play bass, not violin) I am making some changes to the neck taper, and thinning the peg box down a bit, as well as doing some decorative inlay on the scrolls.
Attachments
IMG_20160201_231036~2.jpg
Rear view of the incomplete headstock
IMG_20160201_231044~2.jpg
Scroll carving nearly complete
IMG_20160225_195513.jpg
Lower view
IMG_20160225_195459.jpg
Back
IMG_20160225_195446.jpg
Front
Adam Gardner

Re: New semi acoustic violin completed

Postby Bob Francis » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Please keep this updated Adam!
Thanks
Bob Francis

Re: New semi acoustic violin completed

Postby Adam Gardner » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 pm

I got some good feedback from a couple of violinists that I'll be integrating into the design. I'll post pictures as soon as the changes are made!
I need to relocate the tuning pegs a bit, thin the neck down, put more of a pronounced radius on the fingerboard, and lighten the body a bit. The weight was a consistent complaint.
Adam Gardner

Return to Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows