Here is my home built Scandinavian Psalmodicon

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
David Smith

Here is my home built Scandinavian Psalmodicon

Post by David Smith »

I have built a simple one string Scandinavian Psalmodicon. Here is a video of what my it sounds like. I am bowing it but it can also be plucked. The Psalmodicon was originally designed to aid singing in churches that were too poor to own an organ. A numbering system was also developed to help the novice congregants to hear the melody. You will notice that I am also using a number board that I flip over for the second song. As for playing, the fingering is a little awkward and bowing requires just the right touch to get a good tone. I was worried that the sawtooth fretboard would be difficult to fret, but it is no more difficult than a fretboard with metal frets.
Enjoy,
David Smith

http://youtu.be/AgkWo0y5Q5c
Simon Chadwick

Re: Here is my home built Scandinavian Psalmodicon

Post by Simon Chadwick »

Very nice! There's a photo and brief description in Rauno Nieminen's "Jouhikko" book of a version with a shorter 2nd drone string, from Finland, called 'harppu'. It is bowed with a shorter, lightwr, finger-tensioned bow - I think you would get a much better sound and find it easier with a bow like that, rather than a violin bow.
Bob Francis

Re: Here is my home built Scandinavian Psalmodicon

Post by Bob Francis »

Thanks David I've been waiting for this!
Bob

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”