Violin Scale Length

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Mark Wybierala

Violin Scale Length

Post by Mark Wybierala »

As I've mentioned here before, I set up a whole bunch of Chinese-made student violins this time of year. At our shop, we truly make the best effort we can to not sell junk and I do the best that I can to put these violins into a condition that makes the violin playable for entry level kids. I use the guidelines set forth by Henry Strobel. If the instrument absolutely won't achieve these guidelines or if the work needed exceeds an hour, we just send the instrument back to the supplier for an exchange. I'm only mentioning this to avoid being considered an evil guy for selling these instruments.
The problem I have is that I can't play the violin. I need to at least be able to carry a basic tune and become proficient at getting a decent tone with a bow. With practice I'm sure that I can do this. I play the guitar reasonably and I can fake playing bass and fretless bass well enough to fool some people. I can build a very decent electric guitar or bass. My finger tips are a little bit too fat and mushy to work with a full size violin. How long can I make the scale length of a violin and still be able to tune to violin pitch? I see no problem for me to make a custom neck and I probably have a few old viola necks in the back of the shop. The problem will be the tension of the E-string and the higher stresses on the instrument. I can replace the bass bow if necessary. How long of a scale length can I consider? Should I just get an entry level viola and push my luck? I really want the violin tuning.
Chet Bishop

Re: Violin Scale Length

Post by Chet Bishop »

Why not just play a viola? The finger spacing is wider, the pitch is a fifth lower, and you will probably do less damage to your ears adnd those of your co-workers and friends.

Jacon Van Soelen made a 16-1/2" (I think) five-string viola for a guy in canada whose name I have forgotten...but it had the high E, and, as I recall used a banjo string for it.
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I would guess you need to play the violin mostly to check the instruments you setup. The problem is violin scales are pretty well set, and you do not want to change them. Most violin players get very upset at minute variations in length. Play the violin, or play the viola, but do not try to learn to play something in between.

Realize that EVERYONE'S fingers are too fat to play the notes, particularly at the higher notes. It is all about finger positioning. I'm barely a rank beginner on fiddle, and my fingers are fairly big, but I can eek out notes that are reasonably close to in-tune. One trick to learning good finger placement is to learn to double stop - bow two strings at once - early on. You can play one string open, and fret the other. The 4ths and 5ths should be immediately obvious if your finger is in the right place, and the other intervals to a lesser extent. The one beginner mistake I can warn you about bowing is not to be too timid. Most beginners, unsure of their finger position, bow way too lightly, which only causes the screeching and scratching everyone hates. Bow like you mean it, even if the pitch is not quite right yet.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Jim, you probably are right on the money with your comment "everyone's fingers are too fat to play the notes", and I thank you for the reality check. I've run into a similar situation with parents that want me to make a left-handed violin because playing a right-handed violin seems awkward for their kid who has just started violin at school. For this situation I have an opinion that would not be considered sympathetic yet I hold back standing on a soap box because I may actually be wrong. I have the same opinion for beginners and left-handed guitars. I've done one half arsed left-handed conversion and I won't do another unless I'm funded to do it properly. As a luthier, I can often see how some poorly adjusted instruments can be a real liability and impede the learning curve. I stand by that learning any instrument is difficult and most often more difficult for some than others. Every time I get a left-handed guitar in for service, I work a little bit toward becoming better at playing guitar left handed and it can be done. I just need to suck up to the violin's scale length or play a viola.

Yes, I need to develop some proficiency so that maybe someday I can actually better adjust a sound post for tone. For now, its just putting the sound post at a technically correct or rather obviously not incorrect position. Until I'm able to speak about tone and response, I've got to stick to student instruments for students. I really enjoy working violins and the family of bowed instruments and it may never be my forte but that's okay too -- just gotta try.
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

If you don't mind, I'll offer my opinion. If you can learn to play a 2 octave G scale slowly and as sweetly as possible, I think you'll be better able to assess and compare your violins. Even just a couple of notes bowed nicely can tell a lot.
Dick Hutchings
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Not a bad basic goal to set. I am learning those things that make a bowed note sound badly since that is one of the easiest things to do. It is a fun adventure at the moment and maybe I can keep it that way. A nice clean and sweet scale would be enough for now.
I did encounter a defective new violin string today for the first time and it was a nice win. It was very similar to a defective guitar string or an electric guitar with the pickup adjusted too close. The string sounds sort of out of tune with itself or a harmonic overtone that is not quite right. A new string from the same manufacturer instantly resolved the problem.

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”