My latest violin repair.

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Dick Hutchings

My latest violin repair.

Post by Dick Hutchings »

I have an old Nippon fiddle that needs a lot of work. It had taken a good whack at some point in it's life and was repaired by a monkey. The back had a couple of areas that needed re gluing but it was so poorly aligned that I had to remove the entire thing to get it right. The top had a section of the upper bout that was broken and glued way out of alignment with gobs of glue still on the top.

Along comes monkey number 2. Me. I tried to scrape the glue off and ended up damaging the finish a little. So now I've got the back off and after doing a trial clamping I will be able to get the back on in proper alignment with no trouble. I took the broken piece on the top off and reattached it and it's 100 times better now but still not perfectly flush but very close. I'm not sure if I should take it apart and try again or try to flatten it. I need to fix the finish anyway.
top crack small.jpg
My repair
top crack repairedsmall.jpg
Dick Hutchings
Chet Bishop

Re: My latest violin repair.

Post by Chet Bishop »

Good work, Dick. It is all good experience, no matter what.
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon
Dick Hutchings

Re: My latest violin repair.

Post by Dick Hutchings »

Thanks Chet. I expect to get back to work on this next week. Right now I'm dog and house sitting for my daughter while she's getting paid to go to Disneyland. Unbelievable.
Dick Hutchings

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”